Statement of Merit Criteria
Summer Students (Legal Excellence Program)
Minimum of 2 years successful completion towards a law degree from a recognized university.
*Preference will be given to applicants who have not graduated from law school.
*Applicants must be qualified for enrollment as temporary articled students by the Law Society of British Columbia.
*Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order.
- English Essential
- A general knowledge of law
- Oral Communication:
- Presents and discusses legal concepts and issues in a clear, concise and effective manner orally.
- Written Communication:
- Presents and discusses concepts in a clear, concise and effective manner, in writing.
- Thinking Skills:
- Identifies and analyses problems and situations drawing logical conclusions and viable solutions.
- Identifies sound judgment when analyzing problems or situations.
- Interpersonal relationships:
- Interacts with others in ways that advance the work of the group by developing respect, mutual understanding and productive working relationships. Maintains effectiveness and composure in stressful contexts.
- A willingness and ability to work effectively as part of a team and contribute to the achievement of group objectives, to build team spirit and a capacity to work with others toward a common goal.
- Takes action to influence events rather than passively accepting status quo. Undertakes and initiates change to improve an existing situation without specific direction
- Solid academic standing in Law School
- Demonstrated interest in public law
- Demonstrated interest in litigation.
The Department of Justice is committed to maintaining a representative workforce reflective of Canadian society. In support of achieving a diversified workforce and our employment equity goals, qualified candidates who self-declare in a staffing process as members of Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and/or women may be selected for appointment to fulfill organizational needs.
Condition of Employment
- Date modified: