Abuse Is Wrong In Any Culture: Inuit

Is there any other help?

Most communities have Elders' committees who can provide guidance or help to you and your family if you ask.

You can go to a women's safe shelter if there is one in your community. If there isn't one, you can ask the police, nurse or victim services worker about going to the nearest temporary emergency shelter or safe home until other arrangements can be made.

The temporary emergency shelter or safe home (or women's safe shelter or transition home) is a safe place where you and your children can stay, often for a few days or weeks. Most women's safe shelters have staff 24 hours a day. And most have a security system to keep people who are being abusive out.

The staff at the women's safe shelter will give you and your children a safe place to stay, and help you get food, clothing, diapers, toys, information and support. They will be able to help direct you to services such as legal advice, financial help, medical treatment and a new place to live, if that is what you want. The staff at the women's safe shelter will not tell the person who is being abusive, or anyone else, where you are unless you agree to it.

The phone numbers of women's safe shelters in northern Canada are listed in the back pocket at the end of this booklet. If you live in a community in southern Canada, the phone numbers of women's safe shelters are available through the crisis lines listed in the back pocket at the end of this booklet.

You can call a women's safe shelter to ask questions or to tell your story. You do not have to tell them your name. Some women's safe shelters have toll-free numbers. And some of the women's safe shelter workers have been in violent relationships themselves so they will understand and won't judge you.

Most communities have nurses and community health workers who can help you and your children. They can offer a range of services, including for those who have suffered from physical and sexual abuse, trauma, depression and family violence. In some areas, a registered psychiatric nurse or community mental health worker may also be available to help.

Some communities have victim services workers. These people can help you and your children find a safe place to stay, or help you ask for an emergency protection order (civil, if available), a restraining order (civil or family, if relevant) or a peace bond (criminal). Victim services workers can also help direct you to medical treatment and legal assistance. They can explain your rights and help you find the resources you need. Victim services workers can go with you to the police or the hospital. They will support you as you try to decide what to do.

They will also listen if you want to talk about what is happening and how you feel. Many people who answer the crisis line phones have been through abuse themselves. The phone numbers of the victim services workers and crisis lines are available in the "Emergency Services for Abused Women and Children" section.

Legal help is available from a lawyer or a legal aid office, and in some situations, may be free of charge. Contact a legal aid office, a law line, a court worker or victim services worker to find out where you can get legal help and if you can get help free of charge.

As well, every region of Canada has access to crisis lines, with toll-free phone numbers. The people who answer the phone do not have call display and you do not have to tell them your name. They can tell you where to get help.

Date modified: