Indigenous Justice, Recognition and Reconciliation
The Government of Canada is renewing the relationship with First Nations, Inuit and the Métis Nation based on the recognition of rights, respect and partnership. Learn more about the work the Department of Justice is doing to renew the relationship and support Indigenous communities as they shape their own futures.
Indigenous Justice Strategy
In consultation and cooperation with Indigenous and provincial and territorial partners, Justice Canada is developing an Indigenous Justice Strategy to address systemic discrimination and the overrepresentation of Indigenous people in the justice system.
The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
Learn about Canada’s commitment to implement the Declaration.
Principles Respecting the Government of Canada's Relationship with Indigenous Peoples
Learn about the Principles, a starting point for conversation with Indigenous peoples on how we can transform the Crown-Indigenous relationship.
Transforming the Criminal Justice System
We are working to transform the Criminal Justice system, which includes addressing issues such as overrepresentation of Indigenous peoples. Learn more.
Indigenous Justice Program
Learn how we are supporting Indigenous communities to take on the administration of justice, and decrease rates of victimization, crime and incarceration.
Restorative justice has been part of Canada’s criminal justice system for over 40 years. Find programs and resources here.
Civil litigation involving Indigenous Peoples
The Directive on Civil Litigation Involving Indigenous Peoples provides objectives and guidelines to apply the Principles in litigation. Learn more.
- Tripartite Collaborative Technical Table on the Enforcement and Prosecution of First Nations Laws – Co-Chairs Report: Year One (May 2021–May 2022)
- Independent Special Interlocutor for Missing Children and Unmarked Graves and Burial Sites associated with Indian Residential Schools
- Crown-Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- Indigenous Services Canada
- Supporting Families of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls
- Indigenous Courtworker Program
- Exploring Indigenous Justice Systems in Canada and Around the World
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: