Inventory of Government-Based Family Justice Services
Family Law Information Centres (Ontario)
Type of service
Information & Resource Centres
A Family Law Information Centre (FLIC) is an area in the courthouse where the public can get free information and help about issues related to separation and divorce and other family law matters. The following services are available at the FLIC:
- Court staff will provide information about the family court; court process; court forms; guides to procedure and how to get a lawyer;
- An Advice Lawyer (from Legal Aid Ontario) will provide 20 minutes of general legal information on family law matters free of charge regardless of eligibility, or case-specific advice to those who qualify financially; and,
- An Information Referral Coordinator (IRC) will provide information about family mediation; effects of separation and divorce on children; register the parties for free information sessions and make referrals to community services.
- Pamphlets and other publications on issues related to separation and divorce and child protection matters;
- Court forms and Guides to Procedure;
- Information on legal services and the court process;
- Information on alternative dispute resolution options and referrals to the court-connected family mediation services; and,
- Information on community resources.
Pilot or ongoing service
Ministry of the Attorney General
How to access this service
Walk-ins, self-referrals, referrals by judges, lawyers, duty counsel, court-staff and community agencies. The public can access the FLIC services regardless of whether or not an application has been filed with the court.
FLIC services are offered in family court locations province wide. For more information about FLIC locations contact your local court house. For a full list of court houses check the website at: http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/Court_Addresses/
[ Service(s) offered ]
English. French services are available in Barrie, Blind River, Brampton, Chatham, Cochrane, Collingwood, Cornwall, Elliot Lake, Espanola, Haileybury, Hamilton, Hearst, Kapuskasing, Kenora, Kingston, Kirkland Lake, Leamington, London, L’Orignal, Midland, Newmarket, North Bay, Orillia, Ottawa, Parry Sound, Pembroke, Renfrew, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, Timmins, Toronto, Welland, and Windsor.
Resources and Publications are available in the FLIC. For more information about FLIC services check the website at: http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/infoctr.asp
Governing legislation/legislative authority
Program Management Branch
Court Services Division
Ministry on the Attorney General
720 Bay Street, 2nd Floor
Toronto, ON M7A 2S9
(416) 326-3970 (tel.)
(416) 326-3070 (fax)
- Date modified: