Maximizing the Federal Investment in Criminal Legal Aid
For an electronic version of the report, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prairie Research Associates (PRA Inc.)
Legal Aid Directorate
Department of Justice Canada
The views expressed in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Department of Justice Canada.
Information contained in this publication or product may be reproduced, in part or in whole, and by any means, for personal or public non-commercial purposes, without charge or further permission, unless otherwise specified.
You are asked to:
- exercise due diligence in ensuring the accuracy of the materials reproduced;
- indicate both the complete title of the materials reproduced, as well as the author organization; and
- indicate that the reproduction is a copy of an official work that is published by the Government of Canada and that the reproduction has not been produced in affiliation with, or with the endorsement of the Government of Canada.
Commercial reproduction and distribution is prohibited except with written permission from the Department of Justice Canada. For more information, please contact the Department of Justice Canada.
© Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada,
represented by the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, 2014
Table of Contents
- 1.0 Introduction
- 2.0 Approach
- 2.1 Document review and literature review
- 2.2 Interviews
- 2.3 Interpretation of results
- 3.0 Context for study
- 3.1 Benefits of criminal legal aid
- 3.2 Current pressures facing legal aid
- 4.0 Current innovations and best practices
- 4.1 Accessibility
- 4.2 Effectiveness
- 4.3 Efficiency
- 4.4 Accountability
- 5.0 Approaches to change
- 6.0 Federal role
- 7.0 Summary
- Appendix A – Document and literature review template
- Appendix B – Compendium of best practices and innovations for improving efficiency and access to justice in criminal legal aid, 2007-08 to present
- Appendix C – Criminal legal aid in Australia, New Zealand, England/Wales, and Scotland
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: