Join Canada’s Largest Legal Organization!
The Department of Justice Canada is currently recruiting talented, skilled and passionate Legal Assistants!
- Looking for a rewarding and meaningful career in the law field where you work to ensure that Canadians have an accessible, efficient and fair system of justice?
- Interested in providing high-quality legal services to the government?
- Looking to work in a collaborative, mutually supportive and dynamic team environment?
Then make a difference and consider a career with Canada’s legal team!
What can you expect as a legal assistant in the federal government?
The Department of Justice Canada is involved in virtually every area of law, across the country, and within some 40 federal departments and agencies. We are responsible for all litigation by or against the government, and support the Attorney General as the Chief Law Officer of the Crown.
Legal assistants working within the Department of Justice Canada have an opportunity to gain valuable work experience in the law and administration field. Through their work ethic, their thoroughness and their ability to manage a heavy workload, legal assistants are key to contribute to the fulfillment of Justice Canada’s mandate.
Under the guidance of law professionals, legal assistants assist in the delivery of legal services in the areas of litigation, advisory services, commercial and real estate transactions by performing a variety of tasks, including locating and compiling information, drafting, preparing and proofreading legal and administrative documents (e.g., acts, contracts, legal opinions, procedures, correspondence, etc.), filing court documents, as well as applying various practices and procedures related to the field of law. Legal assistants also perform administrative tasks, such as maintaining and organizing files, responding to client inquiries and conducting follow-up, organizing meetings and other general administrative duties.
Why should you join Canada’s legal team?
- Competitive Salaries and Benefits
- Including pension, supplemental health insurance, dental care, maternity and parental leave benefits, and vacation days. For more information on salaries, please consult the annual rates of pay for the CR group.
- Work as a Team in a Dynamic Environment
- Collaborate with other professionals in the legal and non-legal field across the Federal government.
- Career Advancement
- Access to mentors as well as ample learning and professional development opportunities.
- Location, location, location
- A headquarters in Ottawa, 6 regional offices and sub-offices across the country.
- Make a difference
- Your hard work directly affects the lives of Canadians.
How do I get started?
- If you are a recent graduate or currently completing your last year of studies in a law-related program (e.g. legal assistant, law clerk, paralegal, legal technician program or an equivalent program) from a recognized post-secondary institution or have a combination of education, training and/or experience, we encourage you to apply to our Legal Assistant Inventory – Various Streams and On Demand Legal Professionals Inventory now!
- If you are a former student from the Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP), the Post-Secondary Co-op/Internship Program (CO-OP) or the Research Affiliate Program (RAP), we encourage you to apply to our Former Student Inventory now!
- Learn more about the Department of Justice Canada.
- Learn more about employment opportunities in the federal public service.
Report a problem on this page
- Date modified: