Enforcing Support

In June 2019, changes were made to two pieces of legislation related to family law: the Family Orders and Agreements Enforcement Assistance Act (FOAEAA) and the Garnishment, Attachment and Pension Diversion Act (GAPDA). Certain changes to FOAEAA and GAPDA came into force on Royal Assent (June 21, 2019). Other changes to GAPDA came into force in December 2020 while other changes to FOAEAA will come into force progressively within the next 2 years at a date to be determined by Order in Council. This website will be updated as those changes come into effect.

A support order from a court is a legal document. The order may be to pay spousal support, child support or both. A support order can be enforced if the full amount of support is not being paid. An agreement to pay child support or spousal support can also be enforced if it is in writing. Each province and territory has a Maintenance Enforcement Program to help enforce support orders and agreements.

This website provides general information. Family law is complex. You are encouraged to contact a lawyer for help with family law issues.

For support payers

Enforcing issues

For those receiving support

Ways to enforce

Federal payments

Date modified: