Legal Aid Research Series Court Side Study of Adult Unrepresented Accused in the Provincial Criminal Courts Part 1: Overview Report
In order to present the full content, this page exceeds our site's normal dimensions.
Figure 5.7 Variation in Time Per Case/Appearance by Type of Representation Case Appearances Directly Observed in Non-trial Courtrooms: Median/ 75
th Percentile Time (minutes) per Case/Appearance by Type of Representation at Appearance: by Site
Representation at Appearance
4/8 3 2/3
3n/a 2 6/7
Private Counsel (including duty counsel, agent or paralegal for private counsel)
3/63/10 3, 4 3/7 3, 4 2/3
1, 22/3 2/5
* Because of missing data, it is not possible to specify this value more precisely.
1. Legal aid staff (other than duty counsel).
2. Regina data does not distinguish between duty counsel and legal aid staff acting in another capacity. Percentage shown includes both.
3. For St. John’s, first pair of numbers relates to 1st appearance court, second pair to 9:30 a.m. non-trial appearances in trial courts.
4. For St. John’s,1 st two pairs of numbers are provided for legal aid staff, and 2nd two pairs for non-legal aid private lawyers.