Action Committee on Court Operations in Response to COVID-19
The courts are a pillar of Canada’s democracy, an essential service to Canadians, and a critical support to economic activity. However, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, courts were forced to significantly curtail operations in response to physical distancing and other public health and safety requirements.
That is why the Right Honourable Richard Wagner, Chief Justice of Canada and Chairperson of the Canadian Judicial Council, and the Honorable David Lametti, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, established an Action Committee on Court Operations in Response to COVID-19.
The Action Committee provides national leadership to support the work of provincial and territorial governments, individual courts, and court administrators in progressively restoring the full operation of Canada’s courts while ensuring the safety of court users and staff.
As Canadians and their communities emerge from the present crisis and adapt to new realities introduced by COVID-19, the courts will be crucial to a broader national recovery. By providing provincial, territorial, and judicial decision-makers with the best possible health and safety information, the Action Committee supports them in ensuring the safety and wellbeing of court users, while advancing Canadians’ common interest in a safe and accessible justice system.
- Tip Sheet – Courtroom Symptoms Appearance and Related Situations
- Restoring Court Operations in Northern, Remote and Indigenous Communities
- A Message from the Action Committee (July 2, 2020)
- Phases and Steps of a Criminal Jury Trial
- Tip Sheet – Jury Summons
- Tip Sheet – Jury Selection
- Guidance on protecting court personnel and general practices for sanitation and disinfecting
- Tip Sheet – In-Trial Jury Proceedings
- Tip Sheet – Jury Arrival and Departure
- Tip Sheet – Sequestering, Deliberation, and Release of the Jury
- Tip Sheet – Court Audit Tool (Small Spaces)
- Terms of Reference
- Core Principles and Perspectives
- Safe and Accessible Courts: Orienting Principles for Canadian Court Operations in Response to COVID-19
- Update from the Action Committee on Court Operations in Response to COVID-19 (November 6, 2020)
- New Key Guidance for Resumption of Criminal Jury Trials (July 2, 2020)
- Action Committee on Court Operations in Response to COVID-19 Approves Initial Guidance Documents (May 26, 2020)
- Chief Justice of Canada and Minister of Justice Launch Action Committee on Court Operations in Response to COVID-19 (May 8, 2020)
- Date modified: