Financial Assistance for Canadians Victimized Abroad


The Federal Victims Strategy consolidates all federal government work related to victims of crime into one objective: to give victims a more effective voice in the criminal justice system.

The Victims Fund provides grants and contributions to support projects and activities that encourage the development of new approaches, promote access to justice, improve the capacity of service providers, foster the establishment of referral networks, and/or increase awareness of services available to victims of crime and their families. The Fund does not provide criminal injuries compensation for victims of crime.

Who is eligible?

Canadians who have been the victim of a serious violent crime in a foreign country may be eligible for financial assistance through the Victims Fund. As of April 1, 2007, financial assistance is available to individual Canadians who are victims of specified serious violent crimes in a foreign jurisdiction for serious situations of undue hardship where no other source of financial assistance is available.

Who can apply for this funding?

Any Canadian may apply to the Victims Fund for financial assistance if he or she is:

Financial assistance may be available in the case of the following serious violent crimes committed in a foreign jurisdiction:

Financial Assistance

The Victims Fund may help cover the following expenses where the victim has no other source of financial assistance:

The Victims Fund may help cover the following types of expenses where the victim has no other source of financial assistance:

Canadians are also eligible to receive consular services while outside of Canada through Global Affairs Canada. To find out the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate visit:

Points to Consider

What expenses are not covered by the Victims Fund?

The Victims Fund does not cover:

For additional information, please consult the Program Guidelines on Financial Assistance to Canadians Victimized Abroad.

How to Apply for Funding

Step 1: Report the crime to the Canadian Embassy or Consulate

A Canadian who becomes a victim of a serious violent crime in a foreign jurisdiction should immediately attempt to report the crime to the local Canadian Embassy or Consulate. The primary concern of the Embassy or Consulate staff is the victim's personal and physical safety. Consular staff can assist with arranging help in a medical emergency; provide guidance on sources of information about local laws and regulations; contact next of kin, where authorized, in the event of an accident or death; and request that local authorities investigate suspicious circumstances in the event of an alleged or apparent crime or death. Consular staff should notify the Victims Fund Manager that a victim may be applying for financial assistance.

Step 2: Contact local police

If possible, a Canadian victimized abroad should contact local police to report the incident and obtain immediate help with safety concerns. It is a good idea to request a copy of the police report. The police report serves a number of purposes. It may provide the victim with contact information, and it may be required for insurance purposes at a later date or for provincial compensation for criminal injuries.

A copy of the police report, where available, should accompany the Application for Financial Assistance from the Victims Fund.

Step 3: Apply to the Department of Justice for Financial Assistance

A Canadian victimized abroad may apply for funding by completing the Application Form.

The application form may also be obtained by contacting the Victims Fund Manager:

Victims Fund Manager
Department of Justice
Programs Branch
284 Wellington Street, 6th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0H8

Applications may be sent electronically, by fax or by mail.

Applications are reviewed for completeness and eligibility for funding. Decisions on the eligibility of an applicant and the amount of funding are made as soon as possible after a properly completed application is received. Applicants are advised by letter of the decision, including confirmation of the expenses that will be covered.

Official Languages

Not applicable.

Sustainable Development

The Department of Justice encourages applicants to submit proposals electronically. If you submit your application on paper, please consider printing on both sides of the paper. These actions will minimize environmental impacts.

Frequently Asked Questions

What if two or more Canadians travelling together are victimized?

A separate application is required for each victim who seeks funding.

Publications and Resources

Helpful Federal Government Links:

Helpful Provincial/Territorial Government Links:

Contact Information

Where is more information available?

For more information on how to apply for financial assistance if you have been a victim of crime while abroad:

Canadians Victimized Abroad/Financial Assistance:

Victims Abroad Fund Manager
Programs Branch, Department of Justice
284 Wellington Street, 6th Floor
Ottawa ON K1A 0H8
Tel: 1-888-606-5111