Elder Abuse is Wrong: Resources: Building a Reference List

It is a good idea to create—in advance—your own list of community or other resources that can help you. Look in the telephone book for contact numbers. The following is a list of services or organizations that might be able to help you with information, support or emergency assistance.

Keep these numbers up-to-date as they may change from time to time.

Police (local)

Can help you assess your safety and take action against someone committing a crime in non-emergency situations. Check the first few pages of your telephone book for the phone number. Call 9-1-1 in an emergency

Crisis lines

May be able to help with crisis or emergency intervention and refer you to the appropriate services. These lines are often open beyond regular business hours.

Shelters/Transition homes

Can provide temporary shelter, information and referrals for women or men who experience spousal or family violence.

Victim services

Can refer you to counselling and tell you about programs and services for victims of crime. See the "Victim Service Directory" of the Policy Centre for Victim Issues to help locate services for victims of crime across Canada.

Seniors' help lines

May be able to provide information and refer you to the appropriate services for seniors.

Medical services

Your local hospital, doctor, nurse, health clinic, or medical help line may be able to assist you with medical or health concerns.

Public health and social services

Call your provincial or territorial government for information about health and social support services in your community or ask your local community centre for advice. They may be able to offer information, counselling and provide referrals to social workers.

Legal or mediation services

Legal or mediation help may be available from a lawyer or a legal aid office. Contact a lawyer or mediation referral service, a legal aid office, or a public legal education and information association to find out where you can get legal help and if you can get help free of charge.

Public legal education and information associations

Can provide general information about the law, the legal system and your rights as a person experiencing abuse. See more information on family violence and elder abuse on the Department of Justice Canada's Family Violence Initiative Website.

Financial services

Consult a financial professional or someone at your financial institution. Other organizations like the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada, the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments, PhoneBusters, provincial and territorial organizations, or the Better Business Bureau may provide assistance and information on how to make a complaint if you feel you have been a victim of financial crime.

Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre


Indigenous services

May be able to assist older Indigenous Canadians. For information on resources and government programs and services see Indigenous Services Portal.

Multicultural and immigrant serving organizations

May be able to provide information and refer you to helpful services. See also the Citizenship and Immigration Canada TTY Directory of Newcomer Services.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Can answer questions on immigration status and process, and provide information on the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

1-888-242-2100/1-888-576 8502 TTY

Seniors Canada

Provides links to information and services relating to elder abuse in Canada

Public Health Agency of Canada

Provides links to information materials and resources about abuse of older adults through the Stop Family Violence Website.


Look for other sources of help! You may find help from a local women's centre, a community care centre, your doctor's office, public health nurse, religious leader or a social agency.

People I trust

May be able to offer emotional and practical support—family, friends, doctor, religious leaders and so on.