Modernizing Canada’s Privacy Act – Engaging with Canadians on Privacy
As part of its commitment to modernizing Canada’s Privacy Act, the Department of Justice held a targeted stakeholder engagement in summer 2019.
As a preliminary step, expert stakeholders were asked to provide their views and feedback on technical and legal considerations for modernizing the Privacy Act. Discussion papers provided a launching pad for these discussions. Stakeholder feedback has been summarized in a What We Heard Report.
Plans for additional consultations are underway as the federal government works to develop more concrete proposals for potential amendments to the Act.
- 1. Privacy principles and modernized rules for a digital age
- 2. Transparency and accountability: demonstrating the commitment and respect necessary to facilitate trust
- 3. Greater certainty for Canadians and government: delineating the contours of the Privacy Act and defining important concepts
- 4. A modern and effective compliance framework with enhanced enforcement mechanisms
- 5. Modernizing the Privacy Act’s relationship with Canada’s Indigenous peoples
What We Heard Report
- Date modified: